Want to gain more surf life saving skills?! Branch is running a SMAR course from Coogee SLSC in November.
The aim of the course is to provide participants with the skills and knowledge to participate in search and rescue operations. This course includes participating as a team member in aquatic searches, specialist rock rescue techniques, and a night search and rescue operation on land.
There is a cap of 24 participants for this course, so places will not be confirmed until after the closing date of October 24th 2019.
Tuesday, November 19th 6:30 - 9:30pm Coogee SLSC
Thursday November 21st 6:30 - 9:30pm Coogee SLSC
Saturday November 23rd 8am - 4pm Coogee SLSC
Swim 400m in 8 minutes or less (timed swim must be completed prior to registration being finalised)
Contribute to preparation activities for search and rescue operations.
• Interpret task information. • Use basic navigational techniques
• Select appropriate search and rescue equipment.
Perform search and rescue of a missing person.
• Identify hazards to self, bystanders and patient at an incident scene.
• Minimise risks.
• Select appropriate personal protective equipment.
• Communicate incident details to relevant personnel at appropriate stages.
• Demonstrate an advanced water entry technique.
• Describe search patterns.
• Operate as a member of a search team.
• Perform retrieval of a submerged object at a depth of 3–5 m below the surface
• Participate in a night search operation.
Demonstrate recovery and stand-down procedures.
• Complete operational documentation.
• Perform equipment recovery, cleaning and maintenance in line with organisational procedures.
• Describe symptoms of operational stress and sources of support.