Tamarama Nippers is the Junior Surf Life Saving part of the Tamarama SLSC. Our Nipper program for U6’s to U14’s has been running for over 50 years and thousands of children have enjoyed the benefits of this amazing program.
The aim of the Tamarama Nipper program is first and foremost to train our “Young Lifesavers of the Future”. Training to become a lifesaver from a young age is a wonderful way to learn an array of new skills and make many great and lasting friendships.
While with us, Nippers will learn a respect of the ocean, a mindset of being safe in the water and physical skills to allow them to enjoy the aquatic environment. Additionally, Nippers will gain an understanding of serving the community through the Surf Lifesaving movement.
The program is designed to progress knowledge and skills associated with being a Surf Life Saver and to “graduate” in the U14’s with the Surf Life Saving Rescue Certificate (SRC). Through the age groups, skills such as surf awareness, board paddling, surf swimming, rescues with tubes and boards, CPR and First Aid combine with leadership and teamwork to develop Nippers.
For all of us, fun and friendship is a major component of our Nipper training and one which we focus on at Tamarama. Some Nippers also develop their skills to a point where they can compete for the club in outside competitions and proudly wear the Tamarama club colours.
Tamarama Nippers is run on Sunday mornings from 9.00am and are open, on a space available basis, to children between the ages of 5 and 13 as at midnight 30th September. The program commences on Sunday 13th October 2019 and will conclude on Sunday 15th March 2020. Please see the current 2019-20 calendar at the bottom of this page.
Tamarama Nippers maintains a membership of approximately 80 to 100 members and is supported by an enthusiastic group of parents and the senior club. Being a smaller Nipper group the experience of parents and Nippers alike will vary compared to that of other nearby clubs. We encourage active parent involvement and attention to their child's progress while we pursue the development of their skills during the time that they are in the program.
Thanks to Sydney Roosters who are proud supporters and sponsors of our Tamarama Nippers.
Registrations for the 2019-20 season
Registration for the 2019-20 season are now open.
Registration fees for 2019-20 are $130 per Nipper (up to U13), $250 for U14 (due to SRC costs) and $60 per Nipper parent. A high visibility singlet, as well as a club shirt and a club cap (for new Nippers only), are included in the registration price.
Similar to other clubs in the Waverley and Randwick areas, we require that at least one parent/carer/guardian per family join as a Nipper parent.
Returning Nippers from the 2018-19 season
If you are re-enrolling a returning Nipper/s from the 2018-19 season please follow the instructions below:
- Complete a registration form for each Nipper and Parent/Carer/Guardian being registered and email it to email@example.com. Please write all details clearly.
- If you have an Active Kids Voucher click here https://members.sls.com.au/SLSA_Online/modules/login/index.php to login into the SLSA Members Area to renew your registration & pay the registration fees, including Parent/Carer/Guardian members. A ‘How to Redeem Your Active Kids Vouchers’ guide can be found here Active Kids Voucher Guide. Please forward a receipt of your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you don’t have an Active Kids Voucher click on the following link to pay for the Nippers you are registering, including Parent/Carer/Guardian members. https://www.trybooking.com/BEQPG
- Attend the Sunday 8th September 2019 swimming proficiency assessment.
New Nippers for the 2019-20 season
If you are enrolling a Nipper in 2019-20 season for the first time, please follow the instructions below.
- Complete a registration form for each Nipper and parent/carer/guardian being registered and email them to email@example.com. Please write all details clearly.
- If you have an Active Kids Voucher click here https://members.sls.com.au/SLSA_Online/modules/login/index.php to login into the SLSA Members Area to register as a member & pay the registration fees, including Parent/Carer/Guardian members. A ‘How to Redeem Your Active Kids Vouchers’ guide can be found here Active Kids Voucher Guide. Please forward a receipt of your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you don’t have an Active Kids Voucher click on the following link to pay for the Nippers you are registering, including Parent/Carer/Guardian members. https://www.trybooking.com/BEQPL
- Attend the Sunday 8th September 2019 swimming proficiency assessment.
A registration form can be downloaded here - Registration Form
Swimming proficiencies will be held at the University of New South Wales heated indoor swimming pool, corner of High St and Anzac Parade Kensington (enter from High St) on Sunday 8th September 2019, 12.00pm - 2.30pm ONLY. Please bring along swimmers, towel and goggles. Please advise reception at the pool entrance that you are attending the Tamarama Surf Life Saving Club Nipper proficiency.
Proficiency requirements for the 2019-20 season are noted below. Please note that subject to conditions, surf swimming skills are included as part of the program however, Nippers is not a place where children learn to swim.
Tamarama swimming proficiencies for inter club activities are of a higher standard than the base SLSA requirements due prevailing conditions at our beach and are noted below.
Children who have not completed the proficiencies are unable to fully participate in water activities.
- Under 6 – From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float holding a buoyant aid and recover to a secure position
- Under 7 – From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide, kick for 3m and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float for a few seconds and recover to a secure position
- Under 8 - 25 metre swim (any stroke) plus 1 minute survival float
- Under 9 - 200 metre pool swim within 6 minutes plus 1 minute survival float
- Under 10 - 200 metre pool swim within 6 minutes plus 1.5 minute survival float
- Under 11 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 2 minute survival float
- Under 12 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 2 minute survival float
- Under 13 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 3 minute survival float
- Under 14 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 3 minute survival float
Please note that a child's age group is defined by their age as at midnight 30th September (e.g. a child born on the 13th September 2007 will be in the U13 age group in the 2019-20 season).
Additional open water proficiency will be held during the season (subject to prevailing conditions) for children wishing to participate in inter club competition, such as the Waverley Shield.
Age Managers for each age group need to be identified prior to commencement of the season. Anyone who has done this role will tell you that it is a rewarding activity, so I encourage people to step up and benefit from the experience.
You do not have to be a Bronze Medallion holder to be an Age Manager. Training will be provided and the senior club will support Age Manager activities and undertake water safety activities.
We need at least one Age Manager and one Assistant Age Manager per age group (and I am sure they will in turn welcome some help from other parents - so don't be shy!). We can’t run an Age Group without people taking on these important roles.
Please email us at email@example.com if there is an age group that you wish to support.
Please click on the below link for the current 2019-20 calendar. Please note that this may change from time to time.
If you have any question on Tamarama Nippers please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or come and see us on the beach on Sunday mornings from 9.00am.
Jon Hancock, Brad Charters & Shay Deguara