Tamarama Nippers is the Junior Surf Life Saving part of Tamarama SLSC. Our Nipper program for U6’s to U14’s has been running for over 50 years and thousands of children have enjoyed the benefits of this amazing program.
The aim of the Tamarama Nipper program is first and foremost to train our “Young Lifesavers of the Future”. Training to become a lifesaver from a young age is a wonderful way to learn an array of new skills and make many great and lasting friendships.
While with us, Nippers will learn a respect of the ocean, a mindset of being safe in the water and physical skills to allow them to enjoy the aquatic environment. Additionally, Nippers will gain an understanding of serving the community through the Surf Lifesaving movement.
The program is designed to progress knowledge and skills associated with being a Surf Life Saver and to “graduate” in the U14’s with the Surf Life Saving Rescue Certificate (SRC). Through the age groups, skills such as surf awareness, board paddling, surf swimming, rescues with tubes and boards, CPR and First Aid combine with leadership and teamwork to develop Nippers.
For all of us, fun and friendship is a major component of our Nipper training and one which we focus on at Tamarama. Some Nippers also develop their skills to a point where they can compete for the club in outside competitions and proudly wear the Tamarama club colours.
Tamarama Nippers is run on Sunday mornings from 9.00am. The program commences in October each year and concludes in March the following year and are open, on a space available basis, to children between the ages of 5 and 13 as at midnight 30th September.
Tamarama Nippers maintains a membership of approximately 100 to 120 members and is supported by an enthusiastic group of parents and the senior club. Being a smaller Nipper group the experience of parents and Nippers alike will vary compared to that of other nearby clubs. We encourage active parent involvement and attention to their child's progress while we pursue the development of their skills during the time that they are in the program.
Thanks to Channel Ten who are proud supporters and sponsor of our Tamarama Nippers.
Registrations for the 2020-21 season
Registrations for the 2020-21 season are now closed.
Registrations for the 2021-22 season
Registration for the 2021-22 season will open around August 2021. Please revisit this page around then for further details.
Registration fees for 2021-22 season will be determined closer to registrations opening. A high visibility singlet, as well as a club shirt and a club cap (for new Nippers only), are included in the registration price.
Similar to other clubs in the Waverley and Randwick areas, we require that at least one parent/carer/guardian per family join as a Nipper Parent.
Important information on COVID-19.
A COVID Safety Plan for our Nippers program has been developed and we have a set of recommendations and guidelines to work within to keep your Nippers safe while they are in our care. These include such things as.
- If any Nipper or Parent is not feeling well and are displaying any COVID symptoms it is recommended that you do not attend Nippers and seek a COVID test.
- Any Nipper or Parent who appears unwell will be asked to leave the Nippers area.
- QR code sign in each week for all Nippers, Parents and Age Managers.
- Nippers will be held in a designated area on the beach, i.e. Nippers will have no contact with the public.
- Parents are required to follow the current NSW Health social distancing guidelines.
- Parents are encouraged to download the COVIDSafe App.
- Nippers will participate in their session, then sign out and leave the area.
- COVID Marshals will oversee the program to ensure we are meeting requirements.
This assumes that the current NSW Government guidance on Community Sport remains in place for the duration of the 2020-21 season. As the situation develops, we may need to make further changes to the program. This may include ceasing activities on any given Sunday, pausing the season if required and rescheduling the program.
Proficiency requirements for are noted below. Please note that subject to conditions, surf swimming skills are included as part of the program, however, Nippers is not a place where children learn to swim.
Tamarama swimming proficiencies for inter club activities are of a higher standard than the base SLSA requirements due prevailing conditions at our beach and are noted below.
- Under 6 – From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float holding a buoyant aid and recover to a secure position
- Under 7 – From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide, kick for 3m and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float for a few seconds and recover to a secure position
- Under 8 - 25 metre swim (any stroke) plus 1 minute survival float
- Under 9 - 200 metre pool swim within 6 minutes plus 1 minute survival float
- Under 10 - 200 metre pool swim within 6 minutes plus 1.5 minute survival float
- Under 11 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 2 minute survival float
- Under 12 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 2 minute survival float
- Under 13 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 3 minute survival float
- Under 14 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 3 minute survival float
Children who have not completed the proficiencies are unable to fully participate in water activities.
Please note that a child's age group is defined by their age as at midnight 30th September (e.g. a child born on the 13th September 2009 would be in the U13 age group in the 2021-22 season).
Additional open water proficiency will be held during each season (subject to prevailing conditions) for children wishing to participate in inter club competitions, such as the Waverley Shield and SLSS Branch Championships.
We are always on the lookout for additional help from parents, so if you are interested in becoming an Age Manager or Assistant Age Manager this season please email us at [email protected] for further information.
Please note that you do not have to be a Bronze Medallion holder to be an Age Manager, but you do need a current WWC certificate.
Age Group guides can be found here - SLS NSW Age Guides
Please click on the below link for the current 2020-21 calendar. Please note that this may change from time to time.
If you have any questions on Tamarama Nippers please email us at [email protected] or come and have a chat with us on the beach.
The Tamarama Nipper Team