Become a lifesaver at Tamarama
Attaining a lifesaving award will enable you to become part of one of Surf Lifesaving Australia’s Foundation Clubs, and being part of Tamarama’s iconic lifesaving heritage.
The Bronze Medallion (Certificate II in Aquatic Safety) or the Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC) are the qualifications you need to wear the famous Red & Yellow uniform and patrol the beach to keep Tamarama safe.
Tamarama SLSC will be running our next Bronze Medallion course commencing in February 2020.
As part of our commitment to diversity and an inclusive club, we are offering all women an opportunity to bring a friend to the course free of charge. We are also offering all new members under 30 to take advantage of our student rate of $250.
Pre-requisites for the Bronze Medallion:
- Be able to attend 80% of the scheduled 8 consecutive Saturday mornings, Tuesday evenings, and 1 Sunday, including the assessment.
- Aged 15+ on the date of the assessment.
- Be able to complete a 400m swim in the pool in under 9 minutes.
- Be available to patrol Tamarama Beach.
Information Evening: Wednesday 22nd January 6:30pm Tamarama SLSC
Timed Swim: Wednesday 29th January 6:30pm Victoria Park Pool
This is an 8 week course in order to give new members more patrolling time before end of season. Theory sessions will be conducted on a Tuesday evening, and participants should also prepare by reading chapters from the manual. All trainers are volunteers.
Optional weekly swim training: Mondays 6:30pm Victoria Park Pool Swimming Pool
Each Saturday training session will start at Tamarama SLSC at 8am.
Information Night Wednesday 22nd Jan 18:30-19:30 Tamarama SLSC Clubhouse Wednesday 29th Jan 18:30-19:30 Victoria Park Pool Week 1 Saturday 1 Feb 08:00 to 13:00 Theory and prac Week 2 Tuesday 4 Feb 18:30 - 20:30 Location tbc Theory Week 2 Saturday 8 Feb 8:00 to 12:00 Prac Week 3 Tuesday 11 Feb 18:30 - 20:30 Location tbc Theory Week 3 Saturday 15 Feb 8:00 to 12:00 Prac Week 4 Tuesday 18 Feb 18:30 to 20:30 Location tbc Theory Week 4 Saturday 22 Feb 8:00 to 12:00 Prac Week 4 SUNDAY 23rd FEB FIRST AID COURSE 8:00 - 4:00pm Week 5 Tuesday 25 Feb 18:30 - 20:30 Location tbc Theory Week 5 Saturday 29 Feb 8:00 to 12:00 Prac Week 6 Tuesday 3 Mar 18:30 - 20:30 Location tbc Theory Week 6 Saturday 7 Mar ARTC COURSE 8:00 to 4:00pm Theory and Prac Week 7 Tuesday 10 Mar Mock Part A Location tbc Theory Week 7 Sunday 14 Mar March Part B Prac Week 8 Tuesday 17 Mar PART A ASSESSMENT Tamarama SLSC Week 8 Saturday 21 Mar PART B ASSESSMENT North Bondi
There is a minimum attendance requirement, and missing more than one session will put you at risk of falling behind. Much of the assessment is team based and therefore if you’re not up to standard, you’d be putting the success of your colleagues at risk. Where a candidate has missed more than one week’s training, the Chief Instructor and Deputy Chief Instructors will make a case by case determination whether that candidate can complete the remainder of the course.
We will teach the skills, techniques and theory knowledge, but you will also need to revise and read the course manual. Expect to spend an hour or so reading the course manual between classes to revise. We will hold a couple of optional revision sessions nearer the assessment dates.
Tamarama has a very dedicated volunteer education team who give up a lot of their free time to train the courses, and we have a 100% pass rate. We’re confident that you will also pass if you apply yourself to the course.
What you will learn
- Surf skills and awareness
- Surf rescue skills
- Emergency first aid and resuscitation
- How to create a safer beach environment for our community
- improve your general fitness
- improve your surf swimming and board paddling
- become a valued part of a friendly and supportive team
- once qualified: use club equipment: racing boards, surf skis, surf boats, gym
- once qualified: group training for surf swimming, rowing, surf skis.
- once qualified: compete in surf club carnivals.
- The Bronze Medallion course is not a light undertaking and requires commitment, however we know you will find it rewarding and enjoyable.
- The course requires you to spend some of your own time during the week reading and revising the course materials, and working on your swimming and general fitness throughout.
- We cover a lot of classroom and practical material during the course and experience tells us you cannot miss more than one class or you will fall behind and risk not being able to sit the assessment. Before signing up, have a think about your ability to actively participate in the entire course
Ongoing Patrol Commitment
On successful completion of the course you will be allocated to a patrol and be on duty at the beach for one weekend morning or afternoon (4-5 hours) approximately every three weeks. The more members we have the lighter the patrol requirements will be. As a small club with limited training resources we prefer to train those who want to become part of our surf club and help patrol the beach for many seasons to come.
The following fees include all training and materials for the Bronze Medallion or SRC course, patrol uniform, keys to the club.
Includes 2 Years of Membership Fees and uniform.
Course Cost Bronze Medallion Course $420 Bronze Medallion Course (concession*) $250 Bronze Medallion Course (15-18 years old) $250 Surf Rescue Certificate (13 – 15 years old) $250
* Full time student, pensioner or unemployed, please bring proof of concession with you. Parents or Guardians of Children who are Cadet Members or enrolled in Tamarama SLSC Nippers may access this concession rate.