The Tamarama Nipper program is aligned with Surf Life Saving Australia's Nipper Surf Education program (see links at the end of this page for full details by Age Group) and covers a wide range of skill and educational development.
Tamarama Nippers commence in October and conclude in March and are open, on a space available basis, to children between the ages of 5 and 13 years as at midnight, 30 September.
Sunday activities commence at 0900 at Tamarama as per the published schedule of events for the season, unless otherwise notified.
Should you have any questions, please use the email address below accordingly.
Unlike our neighbouring clubs in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, Tamarama is a smaller but none the less important Surf Life Saving Club, embedded within the local Tamarama community. While a picturesque location and a fantastic beach with great surf, conditions can be challenging at times.
The Nipper group maintains a membership of approximately 100 members and is supported by an enthusiastic group of parents and the senior club. Being a smaller Nipper group the experience of parents and Nippers alike will vary compared to that of other nearby clubs. We encourage active parent involvement and attention to their child's progress while we pursue development of each child's skills during the time that they are in the program.
Please contact me (details below) for more information. Click here Parent Information Pack for 2017-18
Registrations for the 2017-18 season are now closed. Registration for the 2018-19 season will open during May 2018.
Nippers in age groups U6 through U14 are required to complete a swimming proficiency as noted on this page.
Similar to other clubs in the Waverley and Randwick areas, we require that at least one parent / carer / guardian per family join as Nipper Parents. Please see content in payment links below to complete payment for all categories.
Registration fees for 2017-18 are $130 per Nipper and $60 per Nipper parent. Discount available if registering for 2 or more Nippers.
Cost for 2018-19 season will be determined closer to registrations opening. High visibility singlets as well as club shirt and cap are now included in the registration price for all Nippers.
Age Managers for each age group need to be identified prior to commencement of the season. Anyone who has done this role will tell you that it is a rewarding activity, so I encourage people to step up and benefit from the experience.
You do not have to be a Bronze Medallion holder to be an Age Manager. Training will be provided and the senior club will support Age Manager activities and undertake Water Safety Activities.
We will need ay least one Age Manager and one Assistant per age group (and I am sure they will in turn welcome some help from other parents - so don't be shy!). We can’t run an Age Group without people taking on these important roles.
Please email me, letting me know which age group you wish to support.
Proficiency requirements noted below. Note that subject to conditions, surf swimming skills are included as part of the program, however, Nippers is not a place where children learn to swim.
Proficiencies will be conducted at the above noted venue, date and time.
Tamarama swimming proficiencies for intra club activities are of a higher standard than the base SLSA requirements due prevailing conditions at our beach and are noted below.
Children who have not completed the proficiencies are unable to fully participate in water activities.
- Under 6 – From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float holding a buoyant aid and recover to a secure position
- Under 7 – From a standing position in waist deep water perform a front glide, kick for 3m and recover to a secure position. Perform a back or front float for a few seconds and recover to a secure position
- Under 8 - 25 metre swim (any stroke) plus 1 minute survival float
- Under 9 - 200 metre pool swim within 6 minutes plus 1 minute survival float
- Under 10 - 200 metre pool swim within 6 minutes plus 1.5 minute survival float
- Under 11 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 2 minute survival float
- Under 12 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 2 minute survival float
- Under 13 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 3 minute survival float
- Under 14 - 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes plus 3 minute survival float
A child's age group is defined by their age as at midnight 30th September (eg a child born between 1 Oct 2003 and 30 Sep 2005 will be Under 12 in 2016-17 season).
An additional open water proficiency will be held during Oct (subject to prevailing conditions) for children wishing to participate in inter club competition, such as the Waverley Shield.
A detailed calendar of events is attached, correct as at 29 Sep 2017. Key dates follow:
- Registrations - Sunday 17 September
- First Day of Nippers / Parent Briefing - Sunday 8 October
- Nippers Christmas Cheer (last day of Nipper before Summer break) - Sunday 3 December
- Nippers Resumes - Sunday 21 January
- Last day of Nippers for 2017-18 - Sunday 11 March
Note that first day of Nipper activities at Tamarama will be Sunday 8 October from 9am – meeting in the club hall for welcome, introductions and parent briefing.
All other weeks, we meet at 9am at the back of the beach, unless otherwise advised.
- - registration form Rego_forms_2
- - working with children https://wwccheck.ccyp.nsw.gov.au/Applicants/Application
- - 2017-18 Calendar
- Download Age Manager Guide