Become a lifesaver at Tamarama
Attaining a lifesaving award will enable you to become part of one of Surf Lifesaving Australia’s Foundation Clubs, and being part of Tamarama’s iconic lifesaving heritage.
The Bronze Medallion (Certificate II in Aquatic Safety) or the Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC) are the qualifications you need to wear the famous Red & Yellow uniform and patrol the beach to keep Tamarama safe.
Tamarama SLSC will be running two courses during the 2015/2016 season, with the first commencing 3 October 2015
Pre-requisites for the Bronze Medallion
- Aged 15+ on the date of the assessment
- Be able to complete a 400m swim in the pool in under 9 minutes.
- Be available to patrol Tamarama Beach
What you will learn
- Surf skills and awareness
- Surf rescue skills
- Emergency first aid and resuscitation
- How to create a safer beach environment for our community
- improve your general fitness
- improve your surf swimming and board paddling
- become a valued part of a friendly and supportive team
- once qualified: use club equipment: racing boards, surf skis, surf boats, gym
- once qualified: group training for surf swimming, rowing, surf skis.
- once qualified: compete in surf club carnivals.
- The Bronze Medallion course is not a light undertaking and requires commitment, however we know you will find it rewarding and enjoyable.
- The course requires you to spend some of your own time during the week reading and revising the course materials, and working on your swimming and general fitness throughout.
- We cover a lot of classroom and practical material during the course and experience tells us you cannot miss more than one class or you will fall behind and risk not being able to sit the assessment. Before signing up, have a think about your ability to actively participate in the entire course
Ongoing Patrol Commitment
On successful completion of the course you will be allocated to a patrol and be on duty at the beach for one weekend morning or afternoon (4-5 hours) approximately every three weeks. The more members we have the lighter the patrol requirements will be. As a small club with limited training resources we prefer to train those who want to become part of our surf club and help patrol the beach for many seasons to come.
The following fees include all training and materials for the Bronze Medallion or SRC course, patrol uniform, keys to the club.
Includes 2 Years of Membership Fees and uniform.
|Bronze Medallion Course||$380|
|Bronze Medallion Course (concession*)||$210|
|Bronze Medallion Course (15-18 years old)||$160|
|Surf Rescue Certificate (13 – 15 years old)||$120|
* Full time student, pensioner or unemployed, please bring proof of concession with you. Parents or Guardians of Children who are Cadet Members or enrolled in Tamarama SLSC Nippers may access this concession rate.